Saturday, April 14, 2012

"Easy as pie"

I have my mother to thank for this easy/pretty/yummy recipe -
three aspects which make a dish appealing to me.

Candy Bar Pie:
~ 1 - 8 pack snack sized candy bar package
(We usually throw in an extra 1 or 2 little bars or 1 regular sized bar.)
~ 1 - 8 oz package of cream cheese
~ 1 - 8 oz container of whipped topping
~ Chocolate pie crust (I usually buy a prepared one.)

Some may have dignified ways of crushing candy pieces,
but at our house which is teeming with energetic boys,
we smash them with hammers. :-)
It's a great way to expend energy and promote good hammer use!

Just remember to wash the end of your hammer in case it has:
1. Brought down innocent trees in the woods behind your house.
2. Driven nails and misc objects into unsuspecting trees.
3. Participated in the demise of numerous forest bugs!

Ewwww!
That probably doesn't happen at your home. . .


Back to the recipe - - -


Beat the softened cream cheese -
later adding the thawed whipped topping.
Empty all but two candy bar wrappers into the mixture
and beat again.


Scoop all contents into pie shell (leaving a few spoonfuls to sample!)
and garnish with leftover candy bar pieces.
I prefer to give it a good 5-6 hours in the fridge before serving.
A Castle Haven favorite -
especially since kids are able to make this recipe!
 It'll snag you favorable compliments anywhere you take the dish;
Just be prepared to bring an empty pie plate home!
Enjoy! :-)

8 comments:

  1. Oh, Martha!!!! I can't tell you how much I have MISSED being in contact with you. I didn't know you had opened another blog. I knew that I didn't have FB, so didn't know how to contact you and say "Hi!" So, I was THRILLED to see your new blog! YEA! I'll be visiting you quite often. =)

    This recipe looks delish!

    Tell Troy and your children hello for us! Yes, it's unreal how big our kids are getting! It would be fun to go out for coffee sometime when I'm back "home". I'd love to catch up!

    Let's stay true to Jesus and keep prayin' for each other. =)

    (((HUGS)))
    ~Heather~

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this recipe - I have it in my little book and have your name on it. Fun memories of eating it together at your house! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad to see you are blogging again and glad you have it linked to FB so we can see when you post! What a yummy looking pie - oh my.
    (If someone has an over enthusiastic hammer-er they can put the candy bar in a Ziplock baggy so if the wrapper bursts open they don't lose the contents - I've done that before with other things that needed crushing but the contents were spilling out because of the enthusiasm of the helpers)

    Mary Ellen Huff

    ReplyDelete
  4. Martha, you are blogging again! Hurrah! I am starting a new blog too. It is hardly worth checking yet, as I have much work to do on it. Princessesinpigtails.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. martha. so glad to see you blogging again. it has been way too long. you with a new youngin and me with a new grand youngin. i miss you guys so much. hope everything is going good in your neck of the woods. keep on blogging on. ")

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mary Ellen, we (ahem) even have Ziploc malfunctions due to the zest in which things are pounded. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I made this pie last sunday for dessert....everyone loved it!!!...thanks for posting it.....

    shelley hatfield

    ReplyDelete